steelman

steelman

Hello everyone. I am here in the United States. Been collecting antique trucks, gas engines, steam engines and other mechanical items since 1965. I am working on a 1918 World War 1 class B Liberty truck, series 2, and a 1918 Mack AC 5 1/2 ton that was sold to the US Government for use in WW1. Also have a Mack built searchlight/anti aircraft gun trailer built in 1918. Have a 1942 Dodge WC 21 weapons carrier from WW2, as well as many other vehicles. My wife and I restored a 1908 GeBruder Bruder band organ (I think you call them fair ground organs) off of a carousel about 20 years ago, which we enjoy. I own a small steel fabrication business here. Look forward to being a member of this group. Sincerely, Carey

• 1 year later...

Tim, sorry for the long delay. I forgot my password, and got busy at work. We were able to remove the body on the Liberty and leave it there to be burned. It was not period and was made of particle board (sawdust and chips) painted OD green. I was also given some extra parts (adlake sidelights, an acetylene MC bottle, NOS grab handles and hood latches, various other parts, and a complete WW1 uniform (USA) the owner had been saving. The vehicle was in remarkable shape, and the front fenders and steering wheel had been restored. Quite an adventure coming home (axle bearings on the trailer failed), but we made it. I have since gotten the engine started, removed the extra pieces that had extended the frame, moved the rear axle to its original position, found a correct transmission for it (the tranny in it was not original and was poorly installed), and collected volumes of information. Met a couple of others who are restoring Liberty's, and took mine last year to the American Truck Historical Society meet in York, Pa. Blaster Mike from New Zealand and Adrian Wingate from here in Virginia have been most helpful. The Mack searchlight trailer I have owned since 1976, but didn't know what it was until last year! The Mack museum, and Don Schumaker in particular, have been most helpful. I am restoring that also, and am learning how to replace 5/8" hot rivets, as we are replacing a couple of beams that are extensively corroded. I will try to post some pictures soon, when I figure out how. I am looking for some odds and ends for my restoration which I hope to post. I have a partial copy of the body drawings, and would like to purchase a copy including your brother's sketches of the miscellaneous parts. My email, if anyone is interested, is caricoinc@verizon.net. Carey Leitch, Fredericksburg, Virginia, USA

Hi Carey, welcome to the forum. Well with your impressive list of vehicles your have just got to show us some pictures. Sounds like you and the wife are very busy with your restorations. I am impressed to think that your wife is that interested in the restorations with you, mine just looks at me with a blank expression when I say I'm just popping out to do a bit more on my ferret. I like to think deep down she really is as exited as me as it is getting to the point of trying to start her up. That means the ferret, not the wife lol.

All the best

Steve.

Tim, sorry for the long delay. I forgot my password, and got busy at work. We were able to remove the body on the Liberty and leave it there to be burned. It was not period and was made of particle board (sawdust and chips) painted OD green. I was also given some extra parts (adlake sidelights, an acetylene MC bottle, NOS grab handles and hood latches, various other parts, and a complete WW1 uniform (USA) the owner had been saving. The vehicle was in remarkable shape, and the front fenders and steering wheel had been restored. Quite an adventure coming home (axle bearings on the trailer failed), but we made it. I have since gotten the engine started, removed the extra pieces that had extended the frame, moved the rear axle to its original position, found a correct transmission for it (the tranny in it was not original and was poorly installed), and collected volumes of information. Met a couple of others who are restoring Liberty's, and took mine last year to the American Truck Historical Society meet in York, Pa. Blaster Mike from New Zealand and Adrian Wingate from here in Virginia have been most helpful. The Mack searchlight trailer I have owned since 1976, but didn't know what it was until last year! The Mack museum, and Don Schumaker in particular, have been most helpful. I am restoring that also, and am learning how to replace 5/8" hot rivets, as we are replacing a couple of beams that are extensively corroded. I will try to post some pictures soon, when I figure out how. I am looking for some odds and ends for my restoration which I hope to post. I have a partial copy of the body drawings, and would like to purchase a copy including your brother's sketches of the miscellaneous parts. My email, if anyone is interested, is caricoinc@verizon.net. Carey Leitch, Fredericksburg, Virginia, USA

Yes, no problems. I know the feeling. Pleased to hear that you dumped the body. I imagine that most of it would have dropped off on the journey back to Virginia anyway.

Interestingly, there are six Liberty B trucks under restoration (that I know about). Maybe we should make a thread of it under the pre WW2 trucks thread. Didn't Adrian compile a list of survivors? I think I can add to that a little.

No problem with the plans. I will do you a copy.

Regards

Tim